Friday, February 08, 2008

Life is a Highway...

...And I want to drive it all night long in a nice fuel economic car. My Saturn seems to do pretty good in the mileage department for a standard 20th century sedan. Then the other night I got to looking for an affordable super fuel efficient vehicle.

My findings? For $12,000 we could do a full electric conversion on my Saturn, or even my wife's Chevy S10 pickup.










For $2500 I could get a Tata Nano (assuming they'll let it come to America). The world's cheapest new car and it boasts 47mpg! Unfortunately, the radio and air conditioning are extra. But it can do freeway speeds! Barely.


Its not as fuel efficient as the fully electric Corbin Sparrow (see below) but at least it holds more than one passenger.












Maybe I should spend a little extra and get a used Honda Civic Hybrid or Toyota Prius. That would be less complicated. Anyway, my car's not dead yet so I have time to ponder the matter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cari said...

Hi, I'm a friend of your sister Mary and saw your post. I thought you may find the following articles helpful in your search for a new hybrid car.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/116513/article.html

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/5/423/ (look at the Oct. 30th post)

Good Luck!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Talmage said...

Thanks Cari, those were good reads and I am aware of the cost issues.

I wasn't fully clear on the intent of the investigation in the actual blog but this is a complex equation with many considerations.

If you read my next blog post I will explain further considerations in this on-going investigation.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home