Friday, December 28, 2007

Hurray For Wacom!

For Christmas, my wife gave me a brand new Wacom Bamboo One digital drawing tablet. Having pretty much spent my whole life in traditional media I would have to say that the foray into the digital realm to be rather fascinating.

It is certainly different. For example, I am drawing on my computer screen but my hand is going over a tablet in my lap. Sometimes, I'm not mentally synched up between screen and tablet. Fortunately, the curser goes where your stylus is when it hovers near the tablet.

Also, I'm having a tricky time finding a brush that I feel really comfortable with. Oils and watercolors are nice but the mixing can get weird if not careful or if I forget to use layers properly. I feel more comfortable with dry media like pastels and pencil but in Corel Painter 3 (came with the Wacom) the sensitivity settings for those feel unnaturally hard (too much pressure required).

I don't have to worry about my markers ever drying out! But I do have to worry about my hard drive crashing. You can't win 'em all.

I hope to have some real art done but for now, here is some warm up doodles for you to enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger RCH said...

Super cool! Not that I can draw or anything, but I've always wanted one of those. :-)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Michael A. Cleverly said...

I'm very interested in seeing even more drawings. Hope you post them regularly as you progress with using the tablet. I'd also be interested in test driving the tablet myself sometime. :-)

10:06 PM  
Blogger David Ashton said...

I would have to say you already have a good grasp of how to use it. I have had a tablet pc for three months now, and none of my drawings are that impressive. Then again, none of my normal drawings every really compared to your normal drawings.

I love the last picture. It makes me think there could be a cute side to an alien popping out of my stomach. I don't know if that is what you were going for. It's just the visual picture I get when I see it.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home